Green Operations

Calif. Air District Offers Money to Replace Old Diesel Trucks

May 28, 2009

The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution District in California has money for heavy-duty diesel owners of small fleets to replace their older, polluting trucks with newer, cleaner models. 

The Voucher Incentive Program (VIP) is a new, streamlined option funded through the Carl Moyer Memorial Air Quality Attainment Program. More than $15 million is available through the program, which is open to any owner to fund heavy-duty truck replacements statewide. Between $30,000 and $35,000 is available per grant, depending on the age of the truck. Trucks with 1993 and older engines are eligible. Grants are made on a first-come, first-served basis and applications will be approved within five business days. 

"This is a valuable way to encourage owners/operators of older trucks to make an investment in newer, cleaner models, and it fills a great need," said Seyed Sadredin, the district's executive director and air pollution control officer. 

"Funding assistance for clean trucks is key to quickly reduce diesel emissions in one of the busiest trade corridors in the state," said Air Resources Board Chairman Mary D. Nichols. "This will benefit Valley residents with cleaner air to breathe, resulting in fewer cases of respiratory disease, hospital visits and missed work days." 

Eligible trucks must operate 75 percent of the time in California but need not be based in the Valley. Additional criteria include: 

  • Fleet size must be no more than three heavy-duty diesel trucks.
  • Old truck must have a 1993 or older engine.
  • Truck must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles with a declared combined weight greater than 60,000 pounds (Class 8).
  • Truck must have operated more than 30,000 miles per year or consumed 4,700 gallons of diesel fuel per year in each of the previous two years. In cases where one truck did not earn enough mileage, the operator may retire two trucks for one replacement to meet the usage requirement.
  • Truck must be operational and have been registered in California for each of the last two years (partial registration for at least three months per year is eligible).

Comment On This Story

Comment: (Maximum 10000 characters)  
Leave this field empty:
* Please note that every comment is moderated.



Fleet Management And Leasing

Jack Firriolo from Merchants will answer your questions and challenges

View All

Grants & Subsidies

Alternative Fueling Station Locator

Alternative Fueling Station Locator

Find your closest station or plan a route. Locate biodiesel, electric, ethanol, hydrogen, compressed natural gas (CNG), liquified natural gas (LNG), and propane across America.

Start Your Search