Samsara, a telematics provider, has launched new tools to help its customers streamline their operations when electrifying their fleets. The new electric vehicle (EV) features, developed in collaboration with EV customers, give fleet managers remote visibility into their electric and hybrid vehicles.
With the new features, fleet managers can:
- Combat range anxiety with real-time charging status and alerts. Additionally, real-time state of charge reports allow the fleet office to make more informed dispatching and operational decisions.
- Get notified of low EV battery levels with State of Charge alerts to prevent “bricked” vehicles. Managers can also find the closest charging station with the EV Charge Stations Map Overlay, including open hours and available charging types.
- Optimize EV route planning with visibility into fuel, energy levels, and nearby charging stations in order to dispatch the right vehicle with sufficient battery charge needed to complete the job.
- Measure vehicle performance to ensure that all the vehicles in the fleet — whether gasoline, diesel, electric, or hybrids — are performing optimally. Fleet professionals can stay on top of energy consumption, carbon emissions, effective MPG, and percentage of electric miles driven vs. fuel usage for plug-in hybrids to monitor the impact of the EV fleet.
- Monitor charging behaviors with visibility into EV charging history and ensure that drivers are charging at optimal hours and locations. For example, overnight charging can save on electricity costs, and ensuring vehicles are plugged in after routes are complete allows the fleet operation to increase the road time of their EVs.
Originally posted on Government Fleet