IRVINE, CA - The editors of Kelly Blue Book's Web site (www.kbb.com) have named their Top 10 Green Cars for 2010. While this year's list includes several from last year's collection, it also includes newcomers such as the Volkswagen Golf TDI, a "clean diesel" offering, and the Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid, a vehicle that demonstrates that SUV-like features such as towing and cargo-carrying can co-exist with a hybrid powertrain.
In compiling the list, kbb.com editors didn't just take fuel-efficiency into account. They instead sought out a variety of vehicle types for this list, since not everyone who wants to go greener will have their transportation needs met by a small sedan. To be considered for the Top 10 Green Cars of 2010 list, each vehicle was required to offer fuel economy and CO2 emissions superior to the bulk of vehicles in its class, and at the same time provide all the safety, creature comforts and driving enjoyment that would make it pleasant to own.
"Whether car shoppers' top motivations are to save the planet or just save some greenbacks, there are many enjoyable green vehicle options available in the marketplace now, with more exciting models coming down automakers' product pipelines in the near future," said Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com. "From conventional gasoline-powered fuel sippers to hybrids to diesels, we think car shoppers will be impressed with the variety in vehicle types and sizes, as well as the vast array of various technologies, available on the market for the green-minded consumer today, as showcased in our Top 10 Green Cars of 2010 list."
Here, presented in order of combined EPA-estimated fuel economy, are Kelly Blue Book's Top 10 Green Cars for 2010:
- 2010 Toyota Prius - 50 mpg (51 city, 48 highway)
- 2010 Honda Insight - 41 mpg (40 city, 43 highway)
- 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - 39 mpg (41 city, 36 highway)
- 2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI - 34 mpg (30 city, 42 highway)
- 2010 MINI Cooper - 32 mpg (28 city, 37 highway)
- 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid - 32 mpg (34 city, 31 highway)
- 2010 Honda Fit - 31 mpg (28 city, 35 highway)
- 2010 BMW 335d - 27 mpg (23 city, 36 highway)
- 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 26 mpg (27 city, 25 highway)
- 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid - 22 mpg (21 city, 22 highway)