GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN - Responding to the substantial demand for cars that combine good environmental properties with exciting design features, Volvo Cars is now offering the C30, S40, and V50 DRIVe models with optional R-Design features.
This development has been made possible by the continued driveline optimization. The new C30, S40, and V50 1.6D DRIVe all beat the 120g CO2/km limit (119 g for all three models) - even without the previous exterior modifications designed to cut air drag, such as special body and underbody panels and spoilers.
"We've succeeded in reducing the fuel consumption and CO2 levels of these DRIVe models by more than we initially believed possible. This has created sufficient margin to equip the cars with the R-Design package and still beat the 120g/km emission limit in all models," explains Magnus Jonsson, senior vice president, Product Development at Volvo Cars.
The R-Design package allows customers to choose between 10 body colours and it also includes a number of specially designed exterior and interior details.
- Body kit with front and rear spoilers, lower door trim, and side-skirts.
- Roof spoiler on the C30 and V50 and lip spoiler on the boot of the S40.
- 90 mm sports tailpipe, C30 only.
- 17-inch five-spoke Serapis aluminum wheels.
- Grille and door mirror housings in silk metal finish.
- Upholstery with seating surfaces in cream-colored leather, sides in off-black Flex-Tec, and embossed R-Design logo in the front seats.
- R-Design centre stack and panel inlays.
- Gear lever knob trimmed in leather and aluminum.
- Sports pedals in aluminum with inlaid rubber strips.
- Sports steering wheel trimmed in leather with R-Design emblem.
- Blue instrument dials for speedometer and tachometer.
- Textile floor mats with contrasting edging.
At the front there are special DRIVe wind deflectors and an additional R-Design badge, and at the rear the DRIVe badge announces the car's low emission levels.
The chassis is 10 mm lower. The lower ground clearance reduces fuel consumption at the same time as the chassis setting generates more direct road feel and more responsive steering.